Thursday, September 22, 2011

Suspicious $2,200 repair invoice Opinions please?

2003 Cadillac DTS 108,000 miles Okay last month my check oil level warning came on my dash.. so I added a quart of oil and it was fine since... a month later today I go to dealership to get my oil changed... I thought it would be smart to mention it so I asked if there were any leaks in the car for oil to be safe... about an hour 30 minutes later my name is called saying my cars ready... I was a little suprised beacause the service Advisor never came out and talked to me saying if they found any leaks or not.. Usually the Service Advisor comes and sits down and talks to you when theres a spotted issue..Some of the Service Advisors even take you to the lift and show you the Issue and explain.... This guy did nothing.. this Service Advisor ive never seen before. ( there are usually 7 of them working) so I go to front pay and get my INVOICE... and on it it says reaplced oil filter 1 gmoil oil and a plug....

then at the Bottom it says %26quot; Drain Plug would not reinstall. replaced with new... Oil leak from Oil Cooler lines, valve cover gaskets, oil pan, oil preassure sensor vechile needs reseal... Price $2,200....... So Im thinking what the hell? so I go looking for the guy and cant find him at all. when they pull my car up I noticed alot of dirty finger prints on the hood Usually these guys are very clean... I just feel real suspicious if they actually checked it or just made up some crap... So I think it would be smart for me to go to the Cadillac Dealership in the next city too and see what they find.. Because I dont see how if my car was leaking oil from all these different places wouldnt I SEE OIL on the ground the next day when I had it in park? wouldnt I SMELL burning OIL from the car when I got out? I just feel like they saw my car and my age and that im in College and think my parents bought it and are trying to pull one on me...While outside the Dealership I poped open the hood and it was still dirty... How would they know what leaked if it was dirty arent you suppose to clean it and then look?.. the car runs ultra smooth no funny smells no funny sounds no puddels under the car at all.....Opinions please because Im not mechanic just my instincts tell me their wrong.. I can afford it but I got money like that from not spending it like that..Suspicious $2,200 repair invoice Opinions please?Sounds like a typical dealership with young inexperienced technicians that worked on your car. Take the vehicle to a reputable shop and if they are they will do what is called a UV dye test which is where the technician will clean the engine free from dirt and oil then he will add the UV dye solution to the crankcase. Then run the vehicle at about 2000 to 2500 RPM for a specified amount of time and will then take a UV lamp and special UV highlighting glasses and carefully go over the engine to look for signs of leaks! (this is the proper way to check for oil leaks) if a labor extensive leak is found you may want to weigh your options as for the Northstar 4.6 engines are pretty famous for oil leaks if the engine has to be removed and replaced it is expensive as for this vehicle labor time calls for 26.5 hours labor ( I know, I have done quite a few of them) Hope this helps you :)Suspicious $2,200 repair invoice Opinions please?It has never made sense to me to %26quot;reseal an engine%26quot; with over 100,000 miles on it - that project, if done correctly, is only slightly less labor than completely overhauling the engine and significantly more labor than putting a re-manufactured engine in the vehicle.

And I agree with you - it's time to get a second opinion.Suspicious $2,200 repair invoice Opinions please?You got played. Sorry. NEVER give a mechanic an open ended invitation like that!!!Suspicious $2,200 repair invoice Opinions please?If its leaking that bad you would leave oily footprints to the dealership workshop door and back to the parking area, 1. Take it back and ask why it was not cleaned properly,2. ask to see the car when raised up on the ramp and where are all these leaks as a competent mechanic or technician would know what and where to look,3.Ask for a different technician than last one as you have never had such bad service from the dealership before,4.if they are not willing to do any one of these things write to the upper management or the Car manufacturer and ask is this the kind of service that they recommend,5. even a home DIYer mechanic knows where a oil leak is coming from as they leave a oily mess down the side of the engine block normally, as you said you put a quart of oil in if, the engine has that many leaks you would need to move to texas oil country to keep it going,so cant be that bad, complain about the bad attitude of the last service technician,and then ask about the invoice statement as a whole engine is probably cheaper. hope this helps in some small way and don't leave next time you see grubby hand or finger prints on the paintwork,that's substandard workmanship,if he cant be bothered to clean them off what else cant he be bothered about ?