Wednesday, September 14, 2011

2001 Honda Civic Oil Pan Gasket Question!?!?

I have a 2001 Honda Civic 2 door coupe. I got the oil changed at Jiffy Lube recently, but just today I noticed that the oil was leaking. I took it back to Jiffy Lube and they told me that I need to have a new oil pan gasket put in. I called a mechanic to see how much this would run, and they told me it would cost around $300. They told me that the part was $50, and that it would take around 3 hours to put in. I don't know very much about cars at all. Can someone please tell me if this is around the right price range?



Also, is there any way I could replace this part myself without having hardly any knowledge of cars?2001 Honda Civic Oil Pan Gasket Question!?!?Sounds strange to me.No oil leaks,get oil change and develop oil leak.What this sounds like is the sump drain plug washer which must be changed every time the plug is removed.They are of a copper nature usually,and cost pennies.2001 Honda Civic Oil Pan Gasket Question!?!?Get a second opinion and have another mechanic check it out.



It might be a bad gasket. Then again it could be because the dope at the Jiffy Lube who did the work on your car either didn't use a replacement pan bolt washer or possibly even overtorqued the pan bolt and stripped the treads out of the pan bolt hole.



Or, it may not be the oil pan but from the oil filter. If the filter was not tightened all the way or overtightened and so, the oil may be leaking from there.