Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stripped oil pan? Do I HAVE to get a new one?

My oil pan thread is stripped. I'm wondering if buying a new pan is my only option. Can I just get a oversized self tapping drain plug? If so...how well does that work? Is it something that is going to need to be changed everyone oil change?



Or can I just bring it to a shop to get the thread repaired (Going one size up?) ? How much would that cost?



What would be the best thing to do?Stripped oil pan? Do I HAVE to get a new one?There are thread repair kits on the market that are quite good. Most auto parts stores sell them. It would be best to have a shop do it as without a lift it's hard to do. Basically you tap the hole oversize and then thread the insert in with the new threads of the correct size for your drain plug.Stripped oil pan? Do I HAVE to get a new one?Retap and get a bigger plug.Stripped oil pan? Do I HAVE to get a new one?Oversized drain plugs and rubber butterfly type plugs are temporary fixes only.



They all leak eventually.



There normally isn't enough material in an oil pan to tap new threads. You can try, but



The pan will most likely have to be replaced.Stripped oil pan? Do I HAVE to get a new one?If it's just the plug that's stripped then yes...don't replace the pan. Just rethread the plug hole and add a strong gasket to the plug AND add high temp gasket sealer to the plug[recommended] (don't get it in the crank case but don't worry it comes off easily with a socket wrench). Temporary fix but it should hold.Stripped oil pan? Do I HAVE to get a new one?You can re tap it and put in a larger plug. Or you can install a hela coil which is a sleeve that has threads already in it. Re tapping it may be easier. Make sure the oil pan is completely drained.
  • How to care for a primaloft comforter
  • Looking for a quilt display chest
  •