Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?

Just bought this 99 Taurus. I checked under it before I test drove it because I did not want a leaky car. I have a Cavalier with a rear seal leak but I have been putting off fixing it because it is going to be a lot of work/pain the butt. Just keep adding oil every couple of weeks. Anyways, I went to give it an oil change and I notice that there is quite a bit of oil on the pan bottom and some on the ground. I wiped it down and see that there is a leak right in the middle of the bottom of the oil pan. possibly a small rust crack. I have never seen that before. It does not look to be dented like something has struck it there. I noticed this after I had put the new oil in, so I have drained it and now I am looking for a fix. I have JB welded some things with good success. I actually did my sons quad engine case. The chain came off and knocked a hole in the case. I gobbed the JB on and around over about 4 coats to completely cover and fill it. Has held so far. So unless someone has a better suggestion I guess that is what I will try.



Brad How to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?Brazing would be your best bet. JB Weld is not a permanent fix. To braze your pan, all you need is a torch and a brazing rod found at any hardware or welding store. This would be a permanent and much better repair for your time. Good luck.How to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?no shops gonna weld a rusty oil pan in a car so you only choice is epoxy, jb welds probably the best, after your done spray the whole pan with rubberized body undercoating to help stop future leaks. Also make sure the oil pan gasket isnt slipping out( very common on tauruses)How to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?You sure it's the pan leaking? I just went through a similar problem turned out to be my front main seal leaking rand out the bottom of the timing belt cover and was all over the oil panHow to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?JB weld should hold as long as you mixed it right but to be on the safe side you might want to replace the pan or have it welded.How to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?Your Best Bet Is To Make Sure You Cleen The Surface maybe sanding it a little then do like you side JB Weld it or if you have acess To a Welder Cus puting a New oil pan in can be a hard job!



Good LuckHow to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?You could try the JB Weld, just spray the area with brake clean or something similar to make sure the area is spotless.How to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?JB Weld is your fastest bet, unless you wanted to take it to a welding shop.How to fix a small rust/crack/leak in my oil pan?i had that problem on an audi use JB weld or Quiksteel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!