Thursday, June 2, 2011

Self tapping oil drain plug: How tight can I make it? Will they always leak?

I had one put in by Jiffy Lube two oil changes ago. It was fine for months (5000 miles). Then I had someone else change the oil. He said that these plugs are only good for about 5 changes, then I need a new oil pan. But since he changed it, I have spots on my driveway. Could it be he didn't tighten it enough, for fear of breaking something?

Also, I haven't actually seen this plug. Is it a thread inside a thread or is it just one self tapping thread that gets reseated each time? I dont have ramps to drive up on . Honda Accord 2001.Self tapping oil drain plug: How tight can I make it? Will they always leak?No idea, but it sounds like whoever did it the last time is trying to get you to spend money on a new oil pan. Go back to Jiffy Lube and tell them to check it for you. I'm sure they will.Self tapping oil drain plug: How tight can I make it? Will they always leak?He/they may have lost the neoprene or brass sealing washer.Self tapping oil drain plug: How tight can I make it? Will they always leak?it's just a tapered rethredding plug that when tight and the neopreme washer on it will be as good as the factory plug and shouldn't wear out or leak as long as the gasket is on there.