Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I change the oil pump on my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban?

Ok my daily driver is a 1993 Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4. It has 293,000 miles. My oil pressure is fine when I start it but after about 10 minutes it runs very low. I am going to replace the pump simply because, even though it might not be the main problem, I know it probably needs it anyway. Any suggestions would be great. Do I just need to remove the oil pan, or is there more to it? ThanksHow do I change the oil pump on my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban?I agree. 20-W50.



The oil pan needs a significant amount of clearance to be removed.

If yours is four wheel drive, it's going to be a real challenge.How do I change the oil pump on my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban?Yes, you do have to remove the oil pan...if there isn't enough clearance between the pan and crossmember (at least 4 inches) the engine has to be lifted to give the necessary clearance. It's better to let a shop do it, they have the equipment to get it done right...How do I change the oil pump on my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban?yea,you need to drop the oil pan and i think theres 2 or 4 bolts has to come out and the pump comes out,along with the pick-up screen.the pick-up tube pulls right out of the pump,but make sure the screen is straight down to the oil,when you install it in the other pump.make sure you fill the new pump with petroleum jelly,before you install it,so it wont be sucking air,then clean out the pan and use a new gasket and install the pan,and put new oil and filter in it,and your good to go.its not hard,just time consuming.How do I change the oil pump on my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban?You can put all the pumps you want but it won't stop the thermal expansion on the main and rod bearings that get oiled from the pump first. your oil pressure switch is in the block at the top of the motor that gets oil pressure last, when the mains get hot all the oil pours out between the bearings and crankshaft causing a loss of pressure at the end of the oiling system. short of a rebuild, I would try a straight weight

oil like straight 40w or 50w depending on where you live and

what season of the year it is. straight weight oil stays thicker than milti viscosity oil and might help, and an oil change to try first is a lot easer than an oil pump changeHow do I change the oil pump on my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban?remove the oil pan and you should see it hanging there, unbolt it and install the new one, also it helps if you take the cover off the new pump so you can see the pump gears and put some grease in the gears and button it back up as this helps the pump pick up oil quicker on the first start-up.