Monday, November 22, 2010

Should I change the oil pan on my Volvo 850t myself or take it in?

I checked the oil in my Volvo this morning and found that it was packed with sludge, almost like there was dirt in it, we just bought a few months back. My question is how difficult is it to pop the pan to clean it out.? Should I try and do it at home and save some pennies or take it in, if I were to take it in how much would I be looking at to get it fixed???Should I change the oil pan on my Volvo 850t myself or take it in?if you have the tools and the floor jacks needed to jack up the engine do it yourself.Should I change the oil pan on my Volvo 850t myself or take it in?What is the car worth?



If the car is really cheap (like few grands) then try it yourself. Otherwise take it to the dealer and get it completely cleaned out. Sludge will KILL you car.



But ask the dealer how they will clean it. Some will do a very skimpy job. Other will completely take the engine apart (good).

==

Don't just use engine FLUSH. That is actually WORSE now because you can dislodge sludge and make it move around - and possibly block oil flow elsewhere.



Good Luck...Should I change the oil pan on my Volvo 850t myself or take it in?well first you should jack the thing up and look and see if it can be done easy or not ... some cars is no problem but then some you have to jack up the motor.....doesnt hurt to look and see if you can remove it first... most cases i say nope not a easy thing.. and you say a few months ago man a oil change and a tuneup would or should have been done right atfer you got it.. and really you should have seen it when you check the car before you got it.. man if i go to buy a car and i check the oil and its low i leave if its dirty i leave show me they didnt care for their car.. jack it up carwl under it have a look and see if you can do it.... first then if you have a problem getting it out then put the screws back in fill it with oil and try again later with a shop.. dont hurt to tryShould I change the oil pan on my Volvo 850t myself or take it in?It could be a real pain to do yourself, but of course it can be done. Some motors require you to remove a cross member in order to remove the oil pan. You need to jack it up and explore the situation. If you take it to a shop, it could get expensive. I would try to do it myself first.